Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sunset

Sunset from Rånö island in the Swedish archipelago



Late night in Rånö.
When I left Sweden the sun was setting at 9:47pm – I know because new friends of mine debated when it would disappear below the horizon a couple days before I left. And THEN it would slow wane and stay sort of light until 10:30 or 11 at night. Here’s a picture from around 11 a couple of nights before I left.

Being in the Solomon Islands and closer to the Equator and the Southern hemisphere’s winter, I’ve been struck by the early sunset. It’s 18:50 and completely dark, what is this? The chatter and cheering of the boys who played late afternoon soccer on the street outside has ceased. The PA announcements of the central market have gone silent after the 6pm “finished”. There’s the sound of a few passing cars, hums of TVs or generators, but otherwise, it’s nighttime.

I’m not in sunny, summery Sweden anymore. But it ain't half bad...


Lovely sunset in Honiara, Solomon Islands from Iron-Bottom Sound. 




No comments:

Post a Comment