Monday, July 15, 2013

Betelnut*

Betelnut - looks innocent enough?!
SOOOOOO disgusting. Sold everywhere, Betelnut is a word it is impossible to not learn on your first day in Honiara. The second, third, fourth, etc people I met had dyed red teeth. I noticed red dye all over the ground. I quickly learned people chew the seeds of this nut and mix in some white powder which is made of scorched coral or another plant from PNG (Papua New Guinea) and mash it around in their mouths before spitting it on the ground or into old boxes, or really, anywhere. Every guest house I stayed in or hotel lobby has had some sign about not chewing betelnut. Most businesses or public places also have signs.


On every corner and multiple places on blocks (mostly) women sit, perched on a small box, a little box in front of them selling betelnut often accompanied with cigarettes. I have to praise the entrepreneurial spirit and all these small-scale business people finding a way to make a living for their family. Unfortunately, this minor stimulant – like qat/khat or miraa in the Horn of Africa – is really not good for you in the long term. (Plus your teeth turn red!!!)

Betelnut branch to be added to a traditional chapu - pile of
food and gifts used in ceremonies.
Traditionally it has been used for ceremonies and mostly amongst older people in villages. If you need to hold a community discussion, you sit around sharing betelnut. But like most good things – moderation is key. And now young people are amongst the most active consumers of betelnut. Not good for them and can cause cancer (I've been told) and other problems in the long term. Business owners tell us it's a large problem for workers, taking breaks to go chew or just in general that people spend their money on it. 

I'm all for respecting aspects of others' cultures, but unfortunately the use and impacted of this habit on the people around is pretty unfortunate and therefore, I don't mind or feel bad about my complete dislike of this betelnut. 

*I have tried to hold off on writing this post because it will be negative!



Sign from Hyundai Mall. 

Chewed betelnut stains on ground.

GROSS!!


Sign at the Honiara Central Market building
of the City Council. (This one is my favorite.)
Sign at my work building, Anthony
Saru Building. 

2 comments:

  1. Yuck!
    Remember the line in the SOUTH PACIFIC song about Bloody Mary?

    "She is always chewing betelnuts"
    ... "and she don't use Pepsodent"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Miraa was really disgusting till I saw those spit stains. Gross!

      Delete