Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Visit to the market

I found the Market on my first day in Honiara - it's right along the main avenue adjoining the sea. I also heard it. At the start and finish of the day I would hear announcements in Pidgin about the opening and closing, and other intermittent announcements. One Sunday for hours there was a large projection of gospel music, at the Market announcer explained over the loud speaker: people could enjoy a spirit of worship even while they were working on a Sunday.
Martha the Market Mistress
A few days into my time in the office I discovered that my connection to the Market was closer even than I heard. The local trauma counselor consultant for our project was the manager at the Market. Or "Market Mistress" as her office sign read. So on Saturday we took a tour of the Market (which I'd already bought supplies from as it's the one place you can get your fruits and veggies in Honiara.) Martha the Market Mistress had been on the job for a year and a half and had transformed the place a bit. The first woman appointed to the job, she knew many vendors and marched us around encouraging people to clean up where areas were getting dirty, firmly and kindly telling a drunk man laying on a massive fish cooler to go home, and joking with staff who walked around collecting fees from vendors. I've been told in the past Market managers have used their power to siphon off a bit of those fees and enjoy a few cold brews in their office, above the Market. Many I've talked to in town have said under her leadership the Market has improved and become safer.
It's too bad we've pulled her away into our project, but she's a fabulous facilitator and I feel lucky she's part of the team. Here are a few photos from the market visit.

Bananas! My fav for probably obvious reasons.

Tuna times
And oh the flowers!!

Never seen this type of banana before. Delicious cooked!


View of the Market constructed in the late 1990s with assistance of Japanese.

Noted!

Well organized sections - very useful as we planned a workshop and wanted
a good cross-section of the Market's labor force. 

They use cups to round out those nice piles. 

Fresh sea food. 

Hey dude!

1 comment:

  1. Anna -- so interesting! Thank you for describing the sounds and sights so beautifully. And your photos are wonderful. Bananas look delicious, and how nice to see the variety in size, shape and color.

    GREAT CAPTIONS!

    ReplyDelete